Unplug for Fun!
One of the most important things to do as a family is unplug! But unplugging should be more than having your kids turn in their phones at dinner or bedtime. It should be an opportunity to connect, laugh, and realize life CAN be fun without technology!
Fun really hasn’t changed over the years, so take time to remember what you loved to do during the fall months growing up, then ask your kids what sounds fun to them—there’s a good chance that your memories and their ideas will coincide!
Here are some great fall activities to consider:
- Carve or paint pumpkins
- Make a Thankful Pumpkin (Purchase a white styrofoam pumpkin and take turns writing down blessings with Sharpie markers)
- Create a variety of fall crafts (leaf rubbings, Q-tip tree paintings, bookmarks, etc.)
- Decorate for the holidays
Good Food & Good Times
- Make a fall dessert (like the pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe below!)
- Bake homemade bread
- Toast pumpkin seeds
- Take a treat to a widow
- Play board games
- Build a fort
- Plan a friend or family party
- Create some new family traditions
- Write thank-you notes
- Make an “unplug” bucket list for next month
Take it Outside
- Rake leaves and jump in the piles
- Decorate the sidewalks with chalk pumpkins
- Explore the fall colors in the city
- Go on a hike
- Make a picnic
- Gather around a bonfire
- Take a family picture
- Find a local service project on JustServe.org
- Go to a pumpkin patch
- Find a local corn maze
- Take a hayride
- Attend a local fair
- Scream at a haunted house
- Take each child on a special one-on-one date
And since family fun is always better with treats, try this great fall recipe!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
1-2/3 c flour
1 c sugar
1 T pumpkin spice
1 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
Dash of salt
1 c Canned pumpkin
1/2 c Melted butter
1 c Chocolate chips
1. Melt butter and let it cool.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
3. Mix all the wet ingredients together and combine.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Fill two bread pans 2/3 full (about 1 1/2 cups each).
6. Bake at 350º for 40–45 minutes.